INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Video mode, howto ?

• Thank you received: 1

Video mode, howto ? was created by Jean-Luc

Hello,
Clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds and wind and rain... no astro since monday.
So, trying to understand how to set up video mode so as to get smooth frames with ASI183 on RPi 5.
The sensor is 5496x3672, which needs almost 2 seconds to transfer to the PCIe SSD. It has always been, and I think it will always be.
This means that fast exposure subjects are not a good idea : almost 120 seconds for 60 pictures at 0.1 second, 3600 frames of the moon that ought to last 6 minutes actually take around two hours.
Okay, there is a video mode in the capture tab, but at 0.1 second exposure, I get a framerate of ca. 4 images per second. A little bit better, but still not satisfying.
I then tried to figure out the way to lower the resolution, for instance decreasiing to 1280x720 at which, according to the manufacturer's data, the 183 is capable of 103 fps.
But nowhere in the menus of the SM APP on the tablet I could find how to achieve this.
I finally thought this could be done from the streaming tab of the Indi dashboard, but alas! even with so lower resolution of 1280x720, when i start capturing the framerate remains at 4 FPS
Long preamble to explain my problem, so now : how can I get a real video mode, that would allow to capture at least 20 fps ? What and where in the SM APP do I need to set ?
Rgrds,
5 months 4 days ago #100359

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Salman on topic Video mode, howto ?

Hello,
You can start streaming in the SM App from the Camera QC in Ekos tab.
For more information:
You can check the documentation for Video recording .
4 months 1 week ago #100768

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic Video mode, howto ?

Hello Salman,
Well, the problem is not how to enter the video mode, but how to get smooth motion.
At the camera's highest resolution, the best I can get is 4 fps.
I thought that decreasing it it to something like 1920x1080 would allow higher framerate, but doing so through the dedicated indi tab did not.
So, my actual question is : where and how can I decrease the camera's resolution so that the throughput becomes faster ?
Also, when targetting an object, it would be practical to get a real-time view, not having to wait for 3 seconds for the view to refresh.
Here again, 1920x1080 would allow this, but... how to achieve this ?
Rgrds,
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Jean-Luc.
4 months 1 week ago #100770

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Video mode, howto ?

That's actually a valid concern, I think we should add simple controls in the App to control the video resolution because it is independent from regular capture. Sometimes you cannot control it, but if you can then setting a resolution would be best to get high FPS.
4 months 5 days ago #100816

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic Video mode, howto ?

Hello Jasem,
So, the feature doesn't exist yet. I thought I had missed something.
Is it worth opening a feature request, or just wait for the things to go their way ?
Rgrds,
4 months 5 days ago #100818

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds