INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using the AZGTi in ALT/AZ wired mode - problems with KStars 3.7.1 and 3.7.0

• Thank you received: 51
I have plenty of positive experience with using an AZGTi in EQ mode for imaging with KStars/Ekos/Indi over several years. Recently I have been experimenting with, and really enjoying, visual observing of the Moon using a 127mm Maksutov with binoviewers mounted on an AZGTi in ALT/AZ mode. I have begun initially by driving the AZGTi directly controlled from SynScan Pro on my laptop. I would much rather use KStars and Ekos, to allow me to use a small guide telescope and astrocamera (ASI585MC) to align the the Maksutov using plate solving. I have been messing about with using the mount driver 'AZGTi in ALT/AZ wired' mode with the AZGTi with standard 'Left Hand' motor firmware. First question - should I change the motor firmware to the Right Hand EQ/AZ file? With the present arrangement, parking the scope leaves it pointing upwards at about 45° and upside down on the right side of the mount, although the mount position is shown on the KStars star map as level with the horizon and pointing South. Thanks for any helpful experience you can share!
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Avocette.
3 months 2 weeks ago #101013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well I have had some more time to experiment.... for the moment I am sticking with the normal AZGTi motor firmware (Left hand telescope position) and have found some interesting features (Bugs). Firstly there are two mount positions shown on the KStars map in Park positon. So, as these two screenshots show, the telescope is simultaneously pointing North and South....
If I select Polaris and ask the mount, which is physically pointing North, to slew to it, it does so but performs a 360° rotation in azimuth on the way. When I ask the mount to Park, it goes to the physically South horizon position.
I note that in the Indi driver tab, the Auxiliary Encoders are always initially Enabled although I always immediately Disable them and Save the options.
3 months 2 weeks ago #101027
Attachments:

I hadn't attempted to use my AZGTi in this way until yesterday when I also upgraded to KStars 3.7.1 So I presumed that the anomolous behaviour of the AZGTi in ALT/AZ wired mode would have been consistent with earlier versions of the software. After many experiments, I happened to revert to KStars 3.7.0, and Eureka! only a single mount appeared on the star map, and mount movements were as I would have expected. So I guess a bug has been introduced in 3.7.1 or Indi 2.0.8.
3 months 2 weeks ago #101051

So back to KStars 3.7.0 / Indi 2.0.7 and the Sky-Watcher AZGTi in ALT/AZ driver indoors under cloudy skies at the moment. I have the SkyMax 127 with WO Binoviewers and their 20mm 60° APOV eyepieces giving a FOV of around 0.79°. I set time to 23:00 tonight and set a GoTo to target comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS). With the Tracking turned On the mount moves a few times too quickly for the rotation of the Earth so that the target comet appears to drift East to the edge of the FOV in around 45 seconds. However, if I repeat the GoTo but quickly turn the Tracking Off, the comet drifts West and reaches the edge of the FOV in around 90 seconds. So it appears that every minute or so I will need to request a fresh GoTo and then turn Tracking Off to benefit from twice the observation time! It reminds me of nudging a Dobsonian, although hopefully with the benefit and speed of object finding that Platesolving should bring!
3 months 2 weeks ago #101075

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds