ASI178 Camera Performance on Rasperry PI 4

• Thank you received: 17

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Thanks for the introduction.
Sure, I tried to increase the memory to 256MB and 1024MB.
I tested it on a pure Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite and on Astroberry (btw sweet ;) )
It made no difference.

I used to deal with driver optimization in the USB2.0 era. In fact, unjustified shortcuts were used so as not to overload the CPU, which actually made things worse.
It scares me that today's so efficient computers have a problem with such basic communication.
Recently, I became interested in telescopes and astrophotography. In my free time (if my daughter allows me ;) ) I would like to be active in this extensive topic.

I think direct communication (without zwo drivers) with the camera will reveal where the problem lies. Work in progress.
3 years 10 months ago #62724

Anyone interested in this topic?
Is the subject of Raspberry PI still not popular in astrophotography with high-speed cameras?

Over the past weeks, I have analyzed a large part of the LibASICamera2.a library. The most important classes of CCameraFX3 and CircBuf have not been properly implemented for their intended purpose.
For example, the startAsyncXfer method sets up bulk transfers to usb, and then waits for them to be processed, without preparing any more transfers. Then the data is copied in the CircBuf class.
The authors used asynchronous libusb functions to create synchronous communication.

Initial tests of the wrapped library showed that I was able to achieve the full throughput (60fps) without any problems.

My suggestion is to write an overlay to the library to provide asynchronous communication and queuing of buffer pointers,
as well as the new ASIGetVideoDataPointer function to get a data buffer without duplicating data unnecessarily.
Possibility to monitor the size of the queue so that the data from usb up to processing is in the same buffer (streammanager class in Indi).
I also think it is possible to be compatible with new libAsiCamera2 releases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred, Jim, Karsten Buxtehude
3 years 9 months ago #63624

• Thank you received: 27
Pawel,

this is interesting stuff and you are doing a great job. I have never got this camera to work properly on Linux systems (even the big ones). That's why I still need a W10 box for Solar work (high frame rate/16bit). On the same computer (AMD 1500, USB3.1 under W10 it works without any glitch, but had to get rid of W10-2004) If on the same hardware I run a 64bit Ubuntu mate, lots of errors and dropped frames. (Usuallt error 11 from the ASi libs under firecapture) If I drop the the USB limit to 80 it gets better, but in 16bit capture I don't get the same performance as in W10.

If you have a solution for that, it would be very helpfull getting rid of microsoft. (Maybe if you have a solution you should contact Sam at ZWO)

Regards,

Paul
3 years 9 months ago #63625

That's extremely promising results Pawel! I also agree with Paul that this should also be communicated back to Sam to see if they can improve it on their end. Nevertheless, it would great to try this out. How can we test this now?
3 years 9 months ago #63627

ASI178 Camera Performance on Rasperry PI 4 - INDI Forum

This is simply stunning. It takes great in depth knowledge to analyze a binary blob. Looking forward to the updated interface to test!
3 years 9 months ago #63723

INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Thank you pawel. I quickly compiled it on my desktop intel, and tested without problems. (in highspeed mode just a bit faster than firecaptur) Will do the test on an RPI4 later today.

Just one question: is there a possibility to set the camera to 16 bit? That is on my desktop machine I see the biggest problems.

Paul
3 years 9 months ago #64221

Hi,

tested ASI178MM and ASI120MM-S on Rpi4 Ubuntu 20.04 64bit

logs attached. Both cams seem to get their target speed. ASI120 in high speed just a tad faster than in Ekos/Indi

Paul
3 years 9 months ago #64223
Attachments:

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.267 seconds